Friday, November 10, 2006

Parka Project





I've always wanted my own Alaska Native Parka, custom made by one of the "experts" here in Alaska. Never thought that would be me. Drew and I have been talking about making a parka since last winter, now that winter is here...it's time to get busy sewing! We're making our parka's out of Icelandic sheep skin (grey in color). I'm making my shell out of heavy cotton velvet, (merlot/burgundy in color) with a beautiful matching trim for the cuffs, pockets and bottom half of the parka. Mine will be a full zip parka. Drew's doing his with heavy, waterproof canvas, one in white and another in black outer shells, half zip parka. Both of our parka ruffs will be made of beaver, wolf and wolverine. Also for both parka's we'll trim the cuffs with beaver. We have our hands full, it's fun to have a small project on the side, especially to make your very own parka, CUSTOM MADE BY ALASKANS!!!!!!!! Lol!

No comments: